Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Using a stand mixer is recommended.
- 1 (9 inch) graham cracker crust
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- whipped cream
- Prebake graham cracker crust according to package directions and let cool; refrigerate until ready to use.
- Add chocolate to the top of a double boiler set over barely simmering water.
- Melt chocolate, smoothing it with a whisk; remove the insert and let the chocolate cool, stirring occasionally; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter in a big bowl until creamy.
- Gradually add the sugar and continue beating, scraping the bowl as needed, until the mixture is light-textured, about 5 minutes.
- Scrape the melted chocolate into the butter mixture; beat for 30 seconds.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating on medium-high speed for 3-4 minutes after each addition.
- The filling should be very light and creamy; add the vanilla and blend for 10 seconds to incorporate.
- Scrape filling into the chilled pie shell and smooth the top with a spoon.
- Cover with loosely tented foil; refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.