Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found this recipe in the Bon Appetit June 2007 issue. It looked so good. Really, anything that has chocolate and strawberries has got to be good! Biscuits can be made up to 6 hours ahead. Cook time does not include chill time.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chilled whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 lbs small strawberries, hulled & quartered (approx 3 1/2 C)
- 8 tablespoons powdered sugar, divided
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier or 2 tablespoons orange liqueur
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely grated orange peel
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup chilled whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup chilled sour cream
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl.
- Beat cream and vanilla in medium bowl until firm peaks form.
- Stir cream mixture into flour mixture until moist clumps form.
- Transfer to lightly floured surface and gently knead until forming balls.
- Pat dough to 3/4 inch thickness.
- Cut out biscuits (recommend 3-inch cutter).
- Keep patting out dough until used up, approximately 6 biscuits.
- Place biscuits on baking sheet, baking approximately 15 minutes or until toothpick in center comes out clean.
- Let stand at room temperature.
- Strawberry topping:.
- Stir strawberries, 6 Tbsp powdered sugar, orange juice, liqueur, orange peel and salt in medium bowl.
- Cover and chill 1-2 hours.
- With mixer, beat chilled whipping cream and sour cream with remaining 2 Tbsp powdered sugar until soft peaks form.
- To serve, place a biscuit on plate and top with large spoonful of berry topping and juice. Top off with whipped cream mixture.