I found this recipe in the Bon Appetit June 2007 issue. It looked so good. Really, anything that has chocolate and strawberries has got to be good! Biscuits can be made up to 6 hours ahead. Cook time does not include chill time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chilled whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2Preheat oven to 400°F and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 3Whisk flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl.
- 4Beat cream and vanilla in medium bowl until firm peaks form.
- 5Stir cream mixture into flour mixture until moist clumps form.
- 6Transfer to lightly floured surface and gently knead until forming balls.
- 7Pat dough to 3/4 inch thickness.
- 8Cut out biscuits (recommend 3-inch cutter).
- 9Keep patting out dough until used up, approximately 6 biscuits.
- 10Place biscuits on baking sheet, baking approximately 15 minutes or until toothpick in center comes out clean.
- 11Let stand at room temperature.
- 12Strawberry topping:.
- 13Stir strawberries, 6 Tbsp powdered sugar, orange juice, liqueur, orange peel and salt in medium bowl.
- 14Cover and chill 1-2 hours.
- 15With mixer, beat chilled whipping cream and sour cream with remaining 2 Tbsp powdered sugar until soft peaks form.
- 16To serve, place a biscuit on plate and top with large spoonful of berry topping and juice. Top off with whipped cream mixture.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Shortcake With Strawberries
Serving Size: 1 (304 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 519.0
- Calories from Fat 249
- Total Fat 27.7 g
- Saturated Fat 16.8 g
- Cholesterol 89.9 mg
- Sodium 292.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 35.3 g
- Protein 7.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: