Just found this recipe this week in The Boston Sunday Globe. I've yet to make these yet, but the picture looks amazing. Had to post it before I lost it. : )
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- butter (for the pan)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- extra flour (for sprinkling)
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips (for sprinkling) or 12 ounces granulated sugar (for sprinkling)
- confectioners' sugar (for sprinkling)
- 1Pre-heat over to 350°.
- 2Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking pan. Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit the bottom of the pan. Butter the paper.
- 3In a mixing bowl with a wooden spoon, cream the butter.
- 4Add the granulated sugar a little at-a-time until it is well blended.
- 5Beat in the egg yolks and vanilla.
- 6Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- 7Stir the dry mixture into the butter mixture a littlt-at-a-time until it is incorporated. The dough will be sticky.
- 8Place 2/3's of the dough in the pan. Using your fingers press it into an even layer. Flour your hands as you work. Prick the dough all over with a fork.
- 9Sprinkle the chocolate chips (or pieces) over the dough to within 1/4" of the edges.
- 10Place clumps of the remaining dough around the perimeter of the chocolate, making a 1/2" border. Then scatter the remaining dough clumps to fill in the rectangle. You will still be able to see chocolate through the dough.
- 11With a lightly floured hand, pat the clumps gently all over to flatten them slightly.
- 12Sprinkle the dough lightly with the granulated sugar.
- 13Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the top of the pastry is pale golden.
- 14Remove the pan from the oven and set it on a wire rack to cool.
- 15Cover the pan with foil and refrigerate just until the chocolate sets.
- 16Remove from the refrigerator and cut the pastry into bars, making 3 horizontal cuts and 4 vertical cuts.
- 17Lift our the bars and sprinkle them with confectioners' sugar, and stack on a serving plate.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Shortbread Sandwich Bars
Serving Size: 1 (61 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 282.3
- Calories from Fat 138
- Total Fat 15.4 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 61.2 mg
- Sodium 38.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 19.4 g
- Protein 3.2 g