Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
In 'The King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion'
Make and share this Chocolate Shortbread II recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup dutch process cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 3⁄4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 300°; lightly grease two 9-inch round cake pans.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the butter, salt, sugar, and vanilla, then beat in the cocoa, baking powder, and flour.
- Divide the dough in half and press it into the prepared pans, smoothing the surface with your fingers.
- Prick the dough with a fork in an attractive pattern.
- Bake the shortbread for 35-40 minutes, until it appears done around the edges.
- Remove it from the oven and loosen the edges with a heat-resistant plastic knife or table knife.
- Wait 5 minutes, then carefully turn the shortbread out onto a clean work surface, all in one piece.
- Using a pizza wheel, baker's bench knife, or sharp knife, cut each round into 12 wedges (do this while the shortbread is still warm).
- Transfer the wedges to a rack to cool.