Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
What's the best way to improve upn classic, pure butter shortbread? The answer's easy: "Add chocolate!" I copied this recipe from a book, but alas! I don't know which one. :>(
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 12 almond halves
- Lightly grease a 9-inch fluted tart pan with removable bottom or a cookie sheet; set aside. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour and cocoa powder; set aside. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add powdered sugar, vanilla, almond extract, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Add flour mixture and combine until mixture resembles fine crumbs and starts to cling. Form mixture into a ball and knead until smooth.
- Pat dough evenly into prepared pan or pat to 9-inch circle on the prepared cookie sheet. Using your fingers, scallop the edge, if desired. Score into 12 wedges and prick each wedge 3 times with fork tines, making sure to go all the way through the dough. Press an almond slice into each wedge about 1/2-inch from the edge.
- Bake in preheated oven about 30 minutes or until top looks dry. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove sides of tart pan, if using Cool completely on wire rack. Cut into wedges.