Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This cake may be served warm or at room temperature.
Make and share this Chocolate Sheet Cake With Chocolate Frosting recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream or 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 6 tablespoons 18% table cream
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (sifted)
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Set oven to 375 degrees (second- lowest oven rack).
- For the cake; grease and flour a 11 x 15-inch sheet pan.
- In a large bowl combine the flour with sugar; set aside.
- In a saucepan combine 1/2 cup butter, shortening, 1/4 cup sifted cocoa powder and 1 cup water; bring to a boil.
- Pour the cocoa/butter mixture into the flour mixture then add in sour cream or buttermilk, eggs, baking soda and vanilla; mix until smooth.
- Add/mix in the chocolate baking chips.
- Pour into greased and floured baking sheet.
- Bake for about 20-22 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Start the frosting about 5 minutes before the cake is done.
- In a saucepan combine the butter with cream and cocoa powder; bring just to a simmer, then remove from heat; immediately stir in vanilla and confectioners sugar; whisk until smooth.
- Pour the frosting over hot cake.