This cake may be served warm or at room temperature.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup sour cream or 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1Set oven to 375 degrees (second- lowest oven rack).
- 2For the cake; grease and flour a 11 x 15-inch sheet pan.
- 3In a large bowl combine the flour with sugar; set aside.
- 4In a saucepan combine 1/2 cup butter, shortening, 1/4 cup sifted cocoa powder and 1 cup water; bring to a boil.
- 5Pour the cocoa/butter mixture into the flour mixture then add in sour cream or buttermilk, eggs, baking soda and vanilla; mix until smooth.
- 6Add/mix in the chocolate baking chips.
- 7Pour into greased and floured baking sheet.
- 8Bake for about 20-22 minutes or until cake tests done.
- 9Start the frosting about 5 minutes before the cake is done.
- 10In a saucepan combine the butter with cream and cocoa powder; bring just to a simmer, then remove from heat; immediately stir in vanilla and confectioners sugar; whisk until smooth.
- 11Pour the frosting over hot cake.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Sheet Cake With Chocolate Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (74 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 279.5
- Calories from Fat 119
- Total Fat 13.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 34.0 mg
- Sodium 94.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 32.2 g
- Protein 2.0 g