Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This cake may be served warm or at room temperature.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream or 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 6 tablespoons 18% table cream
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (sifted)
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Set oven to 375 degrees (second- lowest oven rack).
- For the cake; grease and flour a 11 x 15-inch sheet pan.
- In a large bowl combine the flour with sugar; set aside.
- In a saucepan combine 1/2 cup butter, shortening, 1/4 cup sifted cocoa powder and 1 cup water; bring to a boil.
- Pour the cocoa/butter mixture into the flour mixture then add in sour cream or buttermilk, eggs, baking soda and vanilla; mix until smooth.
- Add/mix in the chocolate baking chips.
- Pour into greased and floured baking sheet.
- Bake for about 20-22 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Start the frosting about 5 minutes before the cake is done.
- In a saucepan combine the butter with cream and cocoa powder; bring just to a simmer, then remove from heat; immediately stir in vanilla and confectioners sugar; whisk until smooth.
- Pour the frosting over hot cake.