Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
This is the best chocolate cake ever! I got this recipe from my cookbook "Baker's Illustrated". This also makes great cupcakes. Just cut the baking time to around 15-20 minutes when using a standard muffin tin. Try it with my Creamy Milk Chocolate Frosting.
- 3⁄4 cup cocoa (Hershey's Special Dark works very well)
- 1 1⁄4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and make sure the oven rack is positioned in the middle of the oven.
- Grease a 13 by 9-inch baking pan.
- Sift together the cocoa, flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Set aside.
- Heat the chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl covered with plastic wrap for 2 minutes at 50% power.
- Stir until smooth.
- If not fully melted, heat for another minute at 50% power.
- Chocolate can also be melted in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan containing 2 inches of simmering water.
- Mix together with a whisk the eggs, sugar, and vanilla in a medium bowl.
- Whisk in the buttermilk until smooth.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the egg mixture and whisk till combined.
- Whisk in the dry ingredients until the batter is smooth and glossy.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack until room temperature, about an hour.
- Ice with frosting or serve unfrosted with lightly sweetened whipped cream.