Recipe by Sweet Tooth™
(Recipe courtesy: SauerkrautRecipes.com)
Top Review by Suzy-Q Cooks
OK, I did not make this, but I remember my sister making it years ago. It was absolutely the best chocolate cake I ever ate AND the best part was that it stayed fresh for a LONG time. Very moist and tender, and NO sauerkraut taste, or strings, or anything 'sauerkraut-y' at all. Good thing, too, because I hate sauerkraut! Never thought I'd run across this recipe again. Thanks so much!
- 3⁄4 cup sauerkraut, drained and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Sift all dry ingredients together.
- Cream sugar, butter and vanilla.
- Beat eggs in one at a time.
- Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture alternately with water.
- Add sauerkraut mix thoroughly.
- Pour into greased pan or pans.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes until cake tests done.