Recipe by Courtly
Adopted from the recipezaar account. Apparently, this is an excellent recipe! I'll be trying it soon!
Top Review by jdv
Absolutely divine. I will add just a bit more sugar next time because I like sweeter frosting but truly a great recipe! I made a batch and used some on my kids ice cream sundaes that night and saved the rest to frost cupcakes the next day. You will need to let it warm up on the counter a bit before frosting if you make it in advance, but it doesn't take long. When you taste this you know you are eating homemade frosting. This is equal or better to any bakery or restaurant frosting I've tried!
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup natural cocoa powder, sifted
Directions See How It's Made
- In a double boiler or heavy saucepan, melt the butter in the cream, heating until just warm to the touch.
- Stir in sugar and salt until dissolved.
- Mix in cocoa powder until well blended.
- Heat mixture over low heat, stirring continuously until shiny and smooth and hot, but not bubbling.
- For sauce, serve hot or warm.
- For frosting, refrigerate until thick enough to spread.
- May be reheated.