Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
Delicious over ice cream.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 3 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (13 ounce) can evaporated milk
- Melt butter and chocolate in top of double boiler; stir in remaining ingredients.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved and sauce is smooth.
- Serve warm or cold over ice cream.
I made a half recipe. The flavor is excellent. Be sure to cook it long enough to melt all of the sugar so that you don't get a grainy texture. It sets up perfect about 1 hour after coming off of the heat. At that point the sauce is warm and of medium consistency. I made this very economical by using this recipe for recipe #71192
Very simple to make with a rich outstanding flavor that is not too sweet. A real keeper. As I was making this I discovered that I only had 1 cup of granulated sugar so I subbed brown sugar for the remainder. I will definitely keep this recipe handy. Thanks for posting. Note: the topping will be going to an ice cream social this evening...I will report the outcome upon our return.