Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These are being posted in response to a recipe request. I have not made them, but they sound really good. Chilling time is included in prep time.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces fine-quality bittersweet chocolate, chopped (not unsweetened)
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sambuca romana or 1⁄2 cup anise-flavored liqueur
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Melt chocolate and butter in a metal bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring until smooth.
- Whisk together eggs, walnuts, Sambuca, and granulated sugar in another bowl.
- Stir in flour mixture and chocolate (dough will be thin).
- Cover and chill until firm, about 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift confectioners sugar onto a plate.
- Roll heaping tablespoons of dough into balls and roll in confectioners sugar to generously coat.
- Arrange balls 2 inches apart on 2 lightly greased baking sheets and bake in upper and lower thirds of oven, switching position of sheets halfway through baking, until puffed and cracked but centers are still a bit soft, 10 to 12 minutes total.
- Transfer to racks to cool.