Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 1 min
This very rich dessert is very popular in every region of Italy. It looks like salami so bring it to the table whole. Your guests won't be deceived for long! Servings are approximate. This must set overnight in the fridge.
- 8 ounces amaretti di saronno cookies (at your Italian grocer or specialty market)
- 24 graham crackers or 24 other plain cookies
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup amaretto liqueur
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup unsalted butter, plus
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup ground almonds
- Place the amaretti and plain cookies in a large bowl and crush roughly with the bottom of a drinking glass.
- Put the chocolate and Amaretto liqueur in a medium microwave safe bowl and microwave on HIGH, 1 minute at a time, stirring until smooth and melted.
- Stir the egg yolks into the chocolate mixture and then beat in the butter, a little at a time until evenly incorporated.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the crushed cookies and stir well to mix.
- Leave in a cold place for 1 hour to firm up the mixture.
- Brush a large sheet of wax paper with oil or spray with cooking spray.
- Pour the mixture onto the wax paper and shape into a 14-inch long log with a small metal spatula or butter knife.
- Fold the wax paper tightly around the log and chill overnight.
- To serve, unwrap the"Salami" and allow to come to room temperature for about 1 hour.
- Slice thin and serve with whipped cream.