Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 hrs
A slightly lighter, but intensely flavored, frozen dessert.
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- Chop the chocolate into medium-sized pieces. Place in a food processor and process until fine.
- Add sugar and espresso powder and process for about 10 seconds.
- With motor running, add 1 cup of boiling water through the feed tube and continue to process another 10 seconds.
- Transfer to a heavy saucepan. Add the remaining 1 cup of boiling water and stir over moderate heat until the mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5-6 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Let cool to room temperature. Stir in vanilla and rum. Refrigerate several hours, or overnight.
- Transfer to ice cream freezer and freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Freeze 1-2 hours before serving.