Recipe by Cosmic*Cookie
I made these Chocolate Rum Pots for one of my mother's parties, and everyone loved them! They are especially good for big get-togethers, because you can make a double or triple recipe with no extra effort. I have also made them a few times using imitation rum extract, and they come out tasting delicious! If you are going to use rum extract the conversion is 1 and 1/2 tbsp Extract for every 1 tbsp Dark Rum. Hope you enjoy! (Note: Cooking time is actually time needed for refrigeration.)
Top Review by Dreamer in Ontario
What a delicious dessert! I prepared this as written using plain whipped cream for the decoration in deference to one of the people who were to eat this. Next time I'll be making the flavoured whipped cream. Thanks for posting. Made for Spring09PAC.
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 4 eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 1⁄3 cup superfine sugar
- 4 tablespoons dark rum
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1⁄4 pint heavy cream
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dark rum
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the semisweet chocolate and let cool slightly.
- While melting the chocolate, whip 1/4 pint heavy cream in a bowl with an electric mixer (if decorating with Rum Whipped Cream.) When it starts to thicken, add vanilla, sugar, and 1/2 tbsp dark rum. Whip until stiff peaks form, then refrigerate.
- Whisk the egg yolks with the superfine sugar in a bowl until pale and fluffy.
- Drizzle the chocolate into the egg yolk and sugar mixture and fold in together with the dark rum and the heavy cream.
- Whisk the egg whites in a clean bowl until standing in soft peaks. Fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture, one half at a time.
- Divide the mixture between 6 individual dishes, and let chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Serve decorated with rum whipped cream if desired.