To turn cake into a dessert, simply soak it in a flavoured syrup. The cake takes up the flavour and becomes soft and crumbly-just add whipped cream and a pretty fruit sauce such as my Red Fruit Sauce (posted separately).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 200 g flour
- 25 g cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 200 g light muscovado sugar
- 100 ml sunflower oil
- 150 ml milk
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
FOR THE SYRUP
FOR THE TOPPING
- 400 ml double cream
- cocoa, for dusting
- 1Heat the oven to 325*F.
- 2Butter and line a 9 inch round cake tin or spring form tin with parchment paper.
- 3Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and muscobado sugar into a bowl.
- 4In a measuring jug, combine the sunflower oil and milk.
- 5Separate the eggs, reserving the whites and adding the yolks to the liquid ingredients.
- 6Mix the egg yolks, vanilla, milk and oil with a fork.
- 7Add the liquid ingrediends to the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon to a smooth, slack batter.
- 8Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks and fold into the cake batter.
- 9Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
- 10Set in oven and bake for 45 minutes until tests done with a skewer.
- 11Measure the sugar for the syrup and 200ml (7 fl oz) of cold water and set over a low heat until the sugar dissolves.
- 12Bring to the boil and draw off the heat.
- 13Add the rum.
- 14Prick the surface of the hot cake with a fork and spoon the syrup over it.
- 15Leave in the baking tin until completely cold Turn the cake layer out, peel off the baking paper and set on a serving platter.
- 16Whip the cream to soft peaks and swirl over the top of the cake layer.
- 17Chill until firm-at least 2 hours.
- 18Dust with cocoa and serve with the red fruit sauce.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Rum Cake
Serving Size: 1 (1413 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 4665.0
- Calories from Fat 2360
- Total Fat 262.2 g
- Saturated Fat 113.6 g
- Cholesterol 1137.4 mg
- Sodium 2390.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 485.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.4 g
- Sugars 295.6 g
- Protein 57.9 g