Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
To turn cake into a dessert, simply soak it in a flavoured syrup. The cake takes up the flavour and becomes soft and crumbly-just add whipped cream and a pretty fruit sauce such as my Red Fruit Sauce (posted separately).
- Heat the oven to 325*F.
- Butter and line a 9 inch round cake tin or spring form tin with parchment paper.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and muscobado sugar into a bowl.
- In a measuring jug, combine the sunflower oil and milk.
- Separate the eggs, reserving the whites and adding the yolks to the liquid ingredients.
- Mix the egg yolks, vanilla, milk and oil with a fork.
- Add the liquid ingrediends to the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon to a smooth, slack batter.
- Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks and fold into the cake batter.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Set in oven and bake for 45 minutes until tests done with a skewer.
- Measure the sugar for the syrup and 200ml (7 fl oz) of cold water and set over a low heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Bring to the boil and draw off the heat.
- Add the rum.
- Prick the surface of the hot cake with a fork and spoon the syrup over it.
- Leave in the baking tin until completely cold Turn the cake layer out, peel off the baking paper and set on a serving platter.
- Whip the cream to soft peaks and swirl over the top of the cake layer.
- Chill until firm-at least 2 hours.
- Dust with cocoa and serve with the red fruit sauce.