1/1 Photo of Chocolate Rum Cake
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Luscious Dark Chocolate Rum Cake. The cake can be served plain, or it is delicious with coffee flavored whipped cream.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup Meyer's dark rum
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 lb sweet butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup instant espresso coffee powder
- 3 extra large eggs
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- cold water
- 1/3 cup Meyer's dark rum
- 1Adjust rack one-third up from the bottom of the oven and preheat to 325°F.
- 2Choose a 9 inch Bundt pan or any other turban tube pan (10 cup capacity).
- 3Butter the pan well, then dust the whole inside of the pan with fine, dry plain bread crumbs.
- 4Shake out any excess crumbs and set aside.
- 5Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt, set aside.
- 6Melt chocolate in a small double boiler or microwave on low setting.
- 7Set aside to cool slightly.
- 8In a 2 cup glass measuring jug dissolve the coffee in the boiling water.
- 9Add cold water to the 1 1/2 cup line.
- 10Add 1/2 cup of dark rum. Set aside to cool completely.
- 11In a large bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter, add the vanilla and sugar.
- 12Add the eggs one at a time, beating until smooth.
- 13Add chocolate and beat to mix well.
- 14Adjust the machine to low speed, add the dry ingredients and the coffee/rum liquid alternately and gradually to avoid splashing.
- 15Scrape the bowl with a spatula, and beat until smooth.
- 16Pour into pan, smooth the top to make level.
- 17Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes.
- 18Test for doneness with a cake tester or a long thin barbecue stick and bake only until the tester comes out clean and dry.
- 19Cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then cover with a rack and invert.
- 20Remove the pan.
- 21Using a pastry brush or any 1 inch bristle paint brush, paint the cake with the extra 1/3 cup of dark rum, it will absorb completely.
- 22Leave the cake on the rack to cool.
- 23The cake can be served plain, or it is delicious with coffee flavored whipped cream.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Rum Cake
Serving Size: 1 (123 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 545.8
- Calories from Fat 247
- Total Fat 27.5 g
- Saturated Fat 16.7 g
- Cholesterol 104.6 mg
- Sodium 212.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 40.2 g
- Protein 6.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
instant espresso coffee powder