Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
Besides the rum, I've tried amaretto and Kahlua, and I've done half and half mixtures of rum and amaretto. Make sure you let them sit a day or two. These are my future MIL favorite.
- 3 1⁄4 cups crushed vanilla wafers
- 3⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup rum
- In a large bowl, stir together the wafers, sugar, cocoa and nuts.
- Blend in corn syrup and rum.
- Shape into 1-inch balls and roll in additional confectioner's sugar.
- Store in airtight container for several days to build flavor.
- Roll again in confectioners' sugar before serving.
mmmm....delicious! i did somethings differently than the recipe stated. I omitted the nuts because mine were bad & I didn't want to go to the store again. I can see that it would be very good with the nuts, giving it some crunch. I also used dark chocolate cocoa (right next to the unsweetened cocoa in store) I looove dark chocolate. I used a 1/4 cup more rum which of course makes them more runny. They also taste stronger. So I also added 1/4 to 1/2 cup more wafers. It also helps, after they have been mixed, to cover bowl & set in fridge for a couple hrs. They firm up a bit & are easier to roll. Make sure you stir before you form into balls as the rum will sink. It still will be messy! I took turns rolling mine in sugar & chocolate sprinkles. I think next time I'll also try some rice crispy cereal & see if that gives it crunch or if it softens like the wafers. I'll definately make these for every get together.
My sisters favorite cookie. I did use bourbon. These cookies stay for a long time sealed good. They may need a dusting of sugar if you plan on storing them till Christmas. I think they get better the longer they sit. Great cookie!