Recipe by Chef Petunia
This has been an old-time family favorite recipe for many years. I have made these with not only regular rum but coconut flavored rum, bourbon, brandy, amaretto, kahlua...etc. I generally use walnuts but pecans, macadamia or almonds are also good. These are best if they sit a few days in a tightly covered container before eating. They also freeze well. Cooling time is not included in the PREP/COOKING time. Please allow 30 minutes to cool before rolling cookies into balls. FOR ADULTS ONLY, so please make sure you keep these away from the little ones.
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup rum
- 11 ounces vanilla wafers, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups nuts, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt chocolate over very low heat or in a double boiler. Add corn syrup and alcohol (REMOVE FROM HEAT SOURCE AND BE VERY CAREFUL WITH ALCOHOL AND AN OPEN FLAME).
- In a large bowl, combine crushed wafers, powdered sugar and one cup of the chopped nuts. Add chocolate mixture to the crumb mixture and stir well.
- Let stand 30 minutes and then stir again. Shape into 1" balls then roll into remaining nuts. Store in a very tightly sealed container in the refrigerator for at least 3 days for best flavor.