Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Inspired from Linda Majzlik's 'A Vegan Taste of the Caribbean', I reduced the fat by using unsweetened applesauce.
- 8 ounces self-rising flour
- 6 ounces raisins (chopped)
- 1 1⁄2 ounces margarine
- 1 1⁄2 ounces unsweetened applesauce
- 2 ounces sugar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 200 ml soymilk
- Soak the raisins in the rum for 1 hour.
- Gently heat the margarine, sugar and molasses until melted.
- Remove from heat, and stir in the raisins and any remaining rum.
- Gradually add the flour, cocoa powder and cinnamon, and then the soy milk.
- Mix well, then spoon into a greased 7 inch pan.
- Level the top, and bake at 350°F for about 25 minutes; until risen and firm in the centre.
- Remove from the pan and cool on a wire rack.
- If desired, cover with melted chocolate and shredded coconut, and chill in the fridge before serving.