Recipe by Janice Gill
This is a beautiful torte and my own invention. When shell is baked in a heart shaped spring-form pan, it is a wonderful valentine dessert. If the shell doesn't fall sufficiently to make shell, gently push the bottom down before it cools completely.
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 dash salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup very strong coffee
- 9 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- MAKE SHELL:.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon sugar on the bottom and sides of a well greased 8-inch loose bottomed flan pan or pie plate.
- Melt chocolate with water, vanilla and rum over hot water.
- Beat egg yolks until light add 1/3 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition until yolks are thick and lemon coloured.
- Blend in melted chocolate mixture.
- Beat egg whites with salt until stiff, shiny peaks form.
- Fold in chocolate mixture.
- Pour into prepared pie plate and bake for 25 minutes at 350°F until mixture is puffed and firm to the touch (do not overbake).
- Chill one hour.
- The mixture will fall and form a shell for the filling.
- MAKE FILLING:.
- Bring butter and coffee to a boil.
- Process the chocolate, sugar and salt in the food processor until very fine.
- Pour the hot butter mixture through the feed tube with the motor running.
- Add the egg yolks and brandy and process until thick and smooth.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Refrigerate 1/2 cup of the mixture until it is thick enough to pipe through a pastry tube Spread half the room temperature chocolate mixture on the cooled shell.
- Fold the whipped cream into the remaining chocolate mixture and spread over the first layer.
- Spoon the chilled chocolate mixture into a pastry bag and with a star tip, pipe a decorative edge just inside the edge of the shell.
- Refrigerate, uncovered until the filling is set, then cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or up to 2 days.
- May be frozen.