Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a filled jelly roll, that contains no flour. My niece has Celiac disease, so this is one dessert that she can enjoy at Christmas, Thanksgiving, or whenever.
- 6 egg whites, room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2⁄3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- Line greased 10x15 inch jelly roll pan with waxed paper.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Add sugar and beat until stiff.
- Beat egg yolks with sugar until lemon colored and light.
- Beat in cocoa and vanilla.
- Fold into egg whites.
- Spread into prepared pan.
- Bake in 350 degree F.
- oven for 15 to 20 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Sift icing (confectioner's) sugar over a clean tea towel.
- Turn cake out on top of towel.
- Peel off paper.
- Starting at narrow end, roll towel and cake up toegether to cool.
- When cool, unroll and spread with filling.
- Filling: Melt chips and water together over low heat.
- Spread over cake.
- Whip cream until stiff.
- Spread over chocolate layer, saving some to garnish top with a few dabs.
- Refrigerate until serving.
- Cut into slices to serve.