Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
These egg free, whole grain cookies are chewy yet slightly crisp, and the perfect balance between “thin”, “flat”, “oat” and “chocolate. Chocolate rocks make a great alternative to other standard chocolate chips or candy coated chocolate, but you can of course use those too if you can’t find the rocks (avail. online: http://www.nuts.com/chocolatessweets/chocolate-rocks/).
- 1 tablespoon chia powder
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup salted butter
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup thick-cut rolled oats
- 100 g chocolate, rocks or 100 g candy coated chocolate
- Preheat oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with silicone or parchment.
- In a small cup, whisk together the chia and water. Let stand 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat together the shortening, butter, sugars and corn syrup.
- Add chia mixture and vanilla, beat well.
- Add dry ingredients to the creamed ingredients, beat until combined.
- By hand, mix in the rolled oats and chocolate rocks.
- *Optional step: wrap dough and chill 1 hour, up to overnight*.
- Scoop scant tablespoons of dough onto the cookie sheet.
- Bake one sheet at a time for 10 minutes.