2 hrs 55 mins
2 hrs 20 mins
This delicious recipe came from Martha Stewart's magazine, Feb. 2012.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Tart Shell
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
For the Roasted Oranges and the Filling
- 1Make the tart shell: Sift together flour, cocoa powder, and 3/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter and granulated sugar with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla to combine, scraping down side of bowl if needed. Reduce speed to low, and add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with cream and beginning and ending with flour mixture. Shape dough into a disk, and refrigerate, wrapped in plastic wrap, for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 days.
- 2Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll out dough to a little less than 1/4-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Fit dough into a 9-inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom. Trim edge flush with top edge of pan. Chill in freezer until firm, about 15 minutes. Prick bottom all over with a fork, and bake until firm, about 20 minutes. Let shell cool in pan on a wire rack.
- 3Meanwhile, make the roasted oranges:.
- 4Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees. Leaving peel on, cut 4 oranges into 1/4-inch rounds, and arrange in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Pour 1/4 cup juice over oranges, cover tightly with parchment, then foil, and cook until peel is tender, about 2 hours, adding 1/4 cup juice every 30 minutes.
- 5Increase oven temperature to 375 degrees. Remove foil and parchment, and sprinkle oranges with granulated sugar. Add remaining 1/4 cup juice, and roast oranges for 15 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons water, and roast until slightly golden and dry, 2 to 3 minutes more. Cool completely.
- 6Make the filling: Finely grate zest from remaining orange, about 1 1/2 teaspoons, and stir together with mascarpone(or cream cheese) and confectioners' sugar in a small bowl. Spread filling in tart shell, and arrange roasted oranges on top, overlapping slightly.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Roasted-Orange Tart
Serving Size: 1 (1465 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2506.3
- Calories from Fat 1080
- Total Fat 120.0 g
- Saturated Fat 72.9 g
- Cholesterol 490.1 mg
- Sodium 57.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 355.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 28.9 g
- Sugars 208.2 g
- Protein 31.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: