Recipe by Caroline Cooks
Cool, refreshing and chocolate!! Use a high quality chocolate for this--flavored, if you like. From Everyday FOODS magazine.
- 14 ounces semisweet chocolate (do not use chips)
- 2 (15 ounce) containers part-skim ricotta cheese, room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 (9 ounce) package chocolate wafers (about 44 cookies)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare pan by removing sides from a 9" round springform pan.
- Place a sheet of waxed paper over bottom, leaving an overhang; lock sides onto bottom firmly securing paper.
- Spray inside of pan with cooking spray; line sides with a strip of waxed paper 28 inches long and 4 inches wide.
- Make chocolate-ricotta mixture:.
- Break 12 oz. of chocolate into pieces.
- Place on a heatproof medium bowl set over (not in) a pan of simmering water.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until chocolate has melted 8-10 minutes.
- In a food processor, blend ricotta until very smooth, about 1 minute, scraping down sides of bowl.
- Add warm chocolate; blend until smooth.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form.
- With a rubber spatula, gently fold in chocolate-ricotta mixture.
- Assemble cake:.
- Arrange half of cookies in an overlapping pattern to cover bottom of pan.
- Spoon half of chocolate-ricotta mix on top of cookies; smooth top.
- Cover with remaining cookies; top with remaining mixture and smooth top.
- Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate at least 6 hours or up to 2 days.
- To serve:.
- Release sides of pan and remove waxed paper from sides.
- Using bottom piece of waxed paper, pull cake onto platter.
- With a metal spatula, lift cake and remove waxed paper.
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave remaining 2 oz. of chocolate over top of cake. With a knife dipped in hot water, cut cake into 10 slices.
- (Wipe knife clean and re-dip in water for each slice).