Prep 1 hr
Cook 24 hrs
This recipe also calls for Caramelized Rice Krispies but I was unable to add it because the title was too long. Comes from Fine Cooking, Pierre Hermé. I love all types of rice pudding(you can probably tell because I have posted so many)but this is much more than rice pudding! The rice pudding can be made up to three days ahead, the whipped cream up to two days ahead, the mousse up to two days ahead. The Rice Krispies will keep for up to a month in an airtight container. Gianduja(pronounced john-doo-yah)is chocolate that is blended with ground hazelnuts. I saw this and I had to make sure I didn't lose it -- so here it is.
CHOCOLATE RICE PUDDING
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄3 cup raw arborio rice
- 5 ounces good-quality bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (I like Valrhona guanaja)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin, simmered in bourbon until plump and then drained (optional)
- Bourbon, as needed (optional)
CREAM CHEESE MOUSSE
- 1 1⁄3 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons gelatin powder
- 8 ounces cream cheese (I used Philadelphia)
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
CARAMELIZED RICE KRISPIES
- 4 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups Rice Krispies
GIANDUJA WHIPPED CREAM
- 8 ounces heavy cream
- 3 ounces gianduja chocolate, chopped (or good-quality bittersweet chocolate)
- MAKE THE RICE PUDDING:.
- In a saucepan, combine the milk, sugar, salt, and rice.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Cook at a vigorous simmer, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender but not breaking apart and the pudding is still a little soupy but thicker than cream, about 15 minute
- Stir in the chopped chocolate and butter until well combined; the mixture will thicken.
- Mix in the raisins, if using.
- Divide among the eight glasses you're using and chill until needed.
- MAKE THE CREAM CHEESE MOUSSE:.
- In a bowl, beat the heavy cream until it forms soft peaks; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and 2 Tablespoons of the cold water and boil to 248ºF.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl beat the egg yolks with an electric mixer(a hand-held one works best)until blended.
- When the syrup reaches 248ºF, tuen the mixer on high speed and pour the sugar syrup onto the mixing yolks, avoiding the beaters and the sides of the bowl.
- Beat on medium speed until the mixture cools and becomes pale and ribbony, about 4 min; set aside.
- In a small bowl, sprinkle the gealtin over the remaining 2 Tbs cold water and let it soften and swell, about 2 minute.
- Meanwhile, warm the cream cheese until soft in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water, being VERY careful not to overheat it.
- Whisk until it's smooth.
- Add the confectioners' sugar over the softened gealtin, whisking until smooth and completely blended.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and let the micture cool to room temperasture, 10 to 15 min; it will thicken slightly.
- Fold the reserved sugar-egg-yolk mixture into the cream cheese mixture.
- Then gently fold in the whipped cream.
- Spoon equal amounts of the mousse over the pudding in the glasses.
- Chill until needed, at least 30 minute.
- MAKE THE RICE KRISPIES:.
- In a 3-qt. or larger pot, bring the sugar and water to a boil over medium-high heat; boil for 1 minute
- Sprinkle the Rice Krispies over the syrup, stirring gently to coat (the mixture will clump).
- Keep stirring gently over medium high (the rice will separate) until the rice is golden brown (the pan may smoke a bit), 4 to 5 minute
- Remove from the heat and immediately dump the caramelized Rice Krispies onto a baking sheet to cool.
- When ready to use, break up clumps with your hands.
- MAKE THE GIANDUJA WHIPPED CREAM:.
- In a saucepan, bring the cream to a boil.
- Add the chopped chocolate and whisk vigorously until melted.
- Transfer to a stainless bowl.
- Refrigerate, covered, until the cream is well chilled, about 3 hours.
- Whisk the cream until it forms soft peaks.
- Chill until needed.
- ASSEMBLE THE PARFAIT:
- Remove the glasses with the pudding and mousse from the refrigerator.
- Sprinkle on a generous layer of caramelized Rice Krispies and then a spoonful of the gianduja whipped cream.
- Finish with another sprinkling of Rice Krispies.
- Serve right away and ENJOY!