Recipe by spatchcock
Got this recipe from a friend a couple of years ago. It has a really nice texture, and I included these in my christmas cookie packages last Christmas. Everyone really liked them!
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup semisweet chocolate piece, melted and cooled
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped nuts
- 1⁄2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 teaspoon rum flavoring
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl beat butter and shortening with an electric mixer on med to high speed for 30 seconds.
- Add sugar, baking soda, and salt; beat until combined.
- Beat in the egg, milk, and vanilla.
- Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer.
- Stir in the remaining flour.
- Divide dough in half.
- Knead the melted chocolate and nuts into half the dough.
- Knead the miniature chocolate pieces and rum flavoring into the other half of the dough.
- Divide each portion of dough in half (you should now have four"portions.") To shape dough, line the bottom and sides of a 9x5x3 loaf pan with waxed paper or clear plastic wrap.
- Press half the chocolate dough evenly into pan.
- Top with half the vanilla dough, the remaining chocolate dough, and the remaining vanilla dough, pressing each layer firmly and evenly over the preceding layer.
- Invert pan to remove dough.
- Peel off waxed paper or plastic wrap.
- Cut dough crosswise into thirds.
- Slice each third crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Place cookies two inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake cookies in a 375 degree F oven for about 10 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms are slightly browned.
- Transfer cookies to wire racks; cool.