Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
I found this yummy, no-cook recipe in a Taste of Home magazine. I've been cooking for 25 years but I've never done a rice krispie recipe until I found this one. The reason? I don't like messing with all that stickiness but this recipe is for non-sticky bars! Tasty, crunchy and good chocolatey flavor. Reduced fat peanut butter is not recommended for this recipe.
- 1 (11 ounce) package butterscotch chips
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 8 cups crisp rice cereal
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt butterscotch chips and peanut butter, about 2-3 minutes (more or less, depending on your microwave); stir until smooth; gradually stir in cereal until well coated; press half of the mixture into a greased 13x9x2-inch pan; set remaining mixture aside.
- In another large bowl, melt semisweet chips and butter in microwave for about 2-3 minutes, stir in water until blended; gradually add the confectioners' sugar, stirring until smooth.
- Spread over cereal layer; cover and refrigerate for 10 minutes or until chocolate layer is set; spread remaining cereal mixture over the top.
- Chill before cutting.
My best friend made a version of these that we have loved for years. The only difference is more powdered sugar in the chocolate layer. We love these and my kids get so excited when I bring home Rice Krispies.
These are awesome bars!! I too found this recipe in Taste of Home magazine and have been making them ever since.I decided to make them today and thought I would check to make sure the recipe was posted. If you like chocolate and peanut butter then these bars are for you. I have also cut this recipe in 1/2 and used an 8x8 pan, although I don't reccomend it because they do not last long enough :).Thanks for posting this family favourite in a place that we will never lose it!!
From DD#1 (the pastry chef)...MOM these are terrific!!! WE all are Scotch a Roo lovers, but they are so sugary and chewy to the point of teeth sticky!! These bars are so easy, all done in the microwave, so much less sweet and have the same flavors as the Scotch a Roos.....They are crispy and crunchy and the middle layer of chocolate is a hidden surprise when you bit into them and so much less in the sugar/calorie department! Thanks JJ we loved them and I cant believe that being a subscriber to TOH for years that I missed them!! Thanks for posting!!