Recipe by Manami
These bars are easy & quick to make. The only thing that takes time is baking. They are nice for at home and they make a lovely gift, as well. Update 03/26/2006....did not have walnuts and used chopped mixed nuts (a combination of pecans, macadamias, and cashews) and it was really great!
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
- 2⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2⁄3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a mixing bowl combine flour, quick ccoking oatmeal (uncooked) brown sugar and baking soda.
- Cut in 1/2 cup butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Remove 1/2 cup of the crumb mixture adding chopped nuts and set aside.
- Press the remainder into the bottom of ungreased 9" pan.
- In a small saucepan, combine chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk and 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Cook over low heat heat until the chcolate melts, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Spread the chocolate mixture over the crumb crust; top with the crumb/nut mixture pressing lightly into the surface.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, or until the top is golden.
- Cool in pan before cutting into bars.