Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
These are from BH&G's Chocolate Cookbook. A fantastic bar cookie. Soft, moist and creamy. A big hit with family and friends
- 3 cups quick-cooking oatmeal
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup walnut pieces
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven 350°.
- Pan required is ungreased 15x10-inch jelly- roll pan.
- Stir together flour, oats, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In large bowl, cream 1 cup butter and brown sugar till fluffy; beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Stir in dry ingredients, mixing till completely combined.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine chocolate chips, condensed milk and the 2 tablespoons butter.
- Cook and stir over medium-low heat till chocolate and butter have melted.
- Remove from heat; stir in nuts and vanilla.
- To assemble, pat 2/3 of dough into pan (damp fingers work best). Spread chocolate mixture over dough.
- Take remaining dough and "dot" chocolate with small bits till it's all used up.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes. DO NOT over bake.
- Chocolate will still look moist.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Cut into squares.
- Store in an AIRTIGHT container!
I'm baaaack!! Barb, your bar recipe is just wunnerful, wunnerful, and wunnerful! They're a cinch to mix together and bake. Real yummie chocolate and oatmeal. Doesn't get any better than that! I did omit the walnuts. Lucky me! I found a winner! Thanks so much for posting. Laudee
Very simple recipe - easy to follow. Had to borrow a pan from my neighbor, but was well worth it. The taste was great. 4 starts instead of 5 only because my family wasn't crazy about the texture of the chocolate mixed with the the condensed milk - too creamy for them, believe it or not! DH said it hid the true taste of the chocolate and made the bars 'not chocolately enough', but I think they are fantastic!
I love the combination of chocolate and oatmeal. They were very easy to make and are indeed, soft, moist and creamy. Unfortunately, I made them for a friend who helped me haul off some shrub trimmings so I only got one piece before I boxed it up. I guess I'll just have to make another batch for me.