Prep 40 mins
Cook 6 mins
from "Perfect Endings" prep time doesn't include refrigeration
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate morsels
- 3 cups flour, sifted
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup nuts, finely chopped (optional)
- Melt over hot water the chocolate.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together and set aside.
- Combine the shortening and vanilla and beat till creamy.
- Beat the sugar in gradually and then beat in the the 2 eggs one at a time.
- Add the flour mixture, melted chocolate and nuts, if using, and mix well.
- Shape on waxed paper in three 10" rolls. Roll up. Chill several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Unroll. Cut in 1/8" slices. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 F for 6-8 minutes.
Good adaptable cookie to use as a mini chocolate chip cookie. I subbed a healthy omega baking spread for the shortening and used the same measures on everything else. I skipped the nuts too, and left the chips un-melted. When I baked them, I cut the very chilled dough with a sharp knife, reshaped any cookies with my fingers that had gotten warped, and baked as indicated. Very tasty little gems!