Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This cake, from Italian chef Gennaro Contaldo, sounds absolutely amazing -- my two favourite sins, chocolate and red wine, in one! Dusting it with cocoa powder just before serving makes it look extra special.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (350 F).
- Lightly grease a 20cm springform cake tin.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs, then sift in the cocoa powder, flour and baking powder.
- Mix in the red wine, then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for an hour or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, let it cool in the tin and then turn out.
Made this cake yesterday for my dad's birthday. Adapted the recipe very slightly - peeled and diced a pear and added with the chocolate. Baked for about 50 mins. Turned out perfect! Very rich and delicious, will definately be making this again for another special occasion. Thanks!
Not your six year old's chocolate cake! So gourmet and grown up! This could be five stars but there was direction related to the vanilla (I added it with the wine) and the edges got overdone baking an hour;next time I'll start checking it at 45 min. Note it turned out perfectly with these U.S. amount substitutes and everything else the same: 1 cup each butter, superfine sugar,cake flour & chocolate chips, and 2T cocoa powder plus extra for dusting. This would be wonderful served with Godiva ice cream and fresh raspberries.