Recipe by Sackville
This cake, from Italian chef Gennaro Contaldo, sounds absolutely amazing -- my two favourite sins, chocolate and red wine, in one! Dusting it with cocoa powder just before serving makes it look extra special.
Top Review by Violet Queen
Made this cake yesterday for my dad's birthday. Adapted the recipe very slightly - peeled and diced a pear and added with the chocolate. Baked for about 50 mins. Turned out perfect! Very rich and delicious, will definately be making this again for another special occasion. Thanks!
- 200 g butter, softened
- 250 g caster sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 25 g cocoa powder
- 250 g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 100 ml red wine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 150 g plain chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (350 F).
- Lightly grease a 20cm springform cake tin.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs, then sift in the cocoa powder, flour and baking powder.
- Mix in the red wine, then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for an hour or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, let it cool in the tin and then turn out.