Recipe by hepcat1
I made this delicious trifle for Christmas dessert last year but didn't think to post it until I pulled out the recipe to make again this year. It looks just beautiful with a straight-sided trifle bowl and tastes delicious.
Top Review by bowhows
Wow this was good! I made it with three cups of Royal brand Instant Choc Pudding - you'd need two packages. I also chopped the chocolate in my Cuisinart rather than shave it - not so pretty but much easier.
- 1⁄3 cup dark rum
- 1⁄3 cup brewed black coffee
- 2 (22 ounce) containersrefrigerated chocolate pudding
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 cups heavy cream, well chilled
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 14 ounces frozen pound cake, thawed, cut in 16 thin slices, slices cut in half
- 3 1⁄2 ounces bar bittersweet chocolate, shaved into shards with a vegetable peeler
- 1 1⁄2 pints red raspberries (reserve 8 berries for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Have ready a 3-qt. trifle bowl or clear glass serving bowl, about 8 inches in diameter, preferable straight-sided.
- Mix rum and coffee in a clear 1-cup measure. Combine pudding and sour cream in a medium bowl. In a large bowl, beat cream and confectioners sugar with mixer on high speed until stiff, billowy peaks form when beaters are lifted.
- Arrange half the cake slices in bottom of trifle bowl; drizzle with 1/2 the rum mixture. Spread with 1/2 the pudding mixture; sprinkle with 1/3 the chocolate shavings. Top with 1/2 the raspberries, then 1/2 the whipped cream. Repeat layers, reserving remaining shavings for garnish. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours or up to one day.
- To serve: Sprinkle with remaining chocolate shavings; place remaining raspberries on top to garnish.