Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From "Fine Cooking" magazine. Very good! Looks lovely. This calls for a tart pan, but works in a springform pan as well. Cooking time includes time needed for the ganache to chill.
- 40 ginger snaps (1 1/2 cups finely ground)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 1⁄2 cups fresh raspberries
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped or
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 pinch salt
- Position rack to middle of the oven and heat to 325.
- Oil sides and bottom of 9 1/2" fluted tart pan with removeable bottom with vegetable oil.
- In food processor, grind gingersnaps until they are the texture of sand. Transfer to a bowl, add melted butter, working it in by squishing with the hands. Press into sides and bottom of pan. Set in refrigerator for 20 minutes until firm.
- Bake crust on baking sheet for 15 minutes until fragrant--don't let it get too dark. Cool on rack.
- Meanwhile, pass 1 cup berries through food mill with fine disk or force threough fine sieve with wooden spoon into medium bowl, about 1/2 cup puree. Discard contents in strainer.
- Put chocolate in medium bowl. Heat cream until just boiling. Pour hot cream over chocolate, whisk to blend. Stir in raspberry puree and salt. Pour ganache into cooked tart shell.
- Refrigerate ganache until fairly firm, about 1 hour.
- Arrange remaining berries on top of ganache, covering whole surface.
- Chill until completely firm, about 30 minutes.