Recipe by shimmerchk
You won't believe how easy this cake is to make. When you present it to your guests, I promise you will receive "oohs and aahs". It is beautiful to look at and absolutely scrumptious to eat. My father is not quick to dole out compliments on food, he said this was the best cake he has ever had. When strawberries are in peak season I often substitute them for the raspberries.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package chocolate cake mix (or use your favorite chocolate cake recipe)
- 3 eggs (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 (8 ounce) carton frozen whipped topping, such as cool whip, thawed
- 2 cups fresh raspberries (or strawberries if desired)
- confectioners' sugar
- of fresh mint (to garnish) (optional)
- additional raspberries (to garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare the cake according to package directions, using three greased and floured 9 in round cake pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25- 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy.
- Combine milk and pudding mix;add to cream cheese and mix well.
- Fold in whipped topping and raspberries.
- Reserve a large dollop (approx 2 tablespoons) of filling for garnish.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate.
- Spread with half of the filling. Do not cover sides of cake, just the top as this is made to look like a torte, not a frosted cake.
- Repeat layers.
- Top with remaining cake;dust with confectioner's sugar.
- Mound the reserved filling in the center and arrange raspberries in the middle.
- Garnish with fresh mint on top if desired.
- Store in refrigerator.
- Note: If you make this with strawberries and slice them, do not prepare filling too far in advance of serving the cake.
- This is because the strawberries will"bleed" into the filling and become mushy.
- It will still taste great, it will just look a bit unattractive.