Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
A good go to chocolate cake. I've changed this basic recipe to accomodate many different flavours over the years but my favourite is the raspberry. Has been enjoyed by many non-vegans who didn't even know the difference! I got this recipe when I was in high school from a friend. Frost the cake with my Easy Chocolate Icing, Easy Chocolate Icing (Vegan). You can change the jam in the recipe easily, or cook down fresh berries with a little water and thicken with cornstarch and use that instead. I have also doubled the icing and flavoured half with mint extract and used that as the filling.
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cocoa
- 2 cups soymilk
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup raspberry jam
- easy chocolate icing, Easy Chocolate Icing (Vegan)
- Blend granulated sugar with vegetable oil. Add water and vanilla and stir well.
- In a seperate bowl, mix flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa.
- Measure out soy milk and stir in instant coffee.
- Add flour mixture gradually to oil and sugar mixture, alternating with soy milk. (Don't over mix)
- Pour into 2 oiled 9 inch pans and bake 40 minutes at 350°F.
- When cake is baked, remove from pans and cool on a wire rack.
- When cool to the touch, spread the raspberry jam over one of the layers. Top with second layer and ice with Easy Chocolate Icing, recipe # 424521.
Delicious cake, I had it for my birthday yesterday and it was simply divine! I'll post a photo soon :)