Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Great for Christmas!
Make and share this Chocolate-Raspberry Layer Cake recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- lightly grease a 15 1/2-by-10 1/2-by-1-inch jelly roll pan.
- line bottom with waxed paper; grease paper.
- In large bowl of electric mixer, at high speed, beat egg whites until soft peaks form when beaters are slightly raised.
- Gradually beat in 1/2 cup of the granulated sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
- With same beaters, at high speed, beat egg yolks in small bowl with rest of sugar until thick and lemon colored- about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sift flour, cocoa, baking powder, soda and salt onto waxed paper.
- At low speed, beat water, vanilla, then flour mixture into egg yolk mixture until combined, scraping sides of bowl with rubber spatula.
- With rubbr spatula using an under-and-over motion, gently fold egg yolk mixture into beaten egg whites, spreaad evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes, or just until surface springs back when gently pressed with fingertip.
- Cool cake in pan on wire rack 10 minutes; invert cake onto large wire rack; gently peel off waxed paper; turn cake top side up; cool completely.
- With serrated knifecut cake crosswise into quarters to form four 10-by-3 3/4-inch layers.
- Line jelly roll pan with forel.
- Bring up one short edge of foil to form a 11 1/4- by 10-inch rectangle.
- Soft sherbet slightly.
- and spread in foil lined pan; refreeze until firm.
- When firm cut sherbet cross wise into three pieces, right through the foil.
- Place one cake layer on serving plate; invert raspberry sherbet over the cake layer; peel off foil.
- repeat with remaining cake and sherbet layers, ending with cake layer, place top side up.
- Loosely wrap cake with plastic wrap, freeze until firm.
- just before serving cut a rectangle of waxed paper, 1/2-inch smaller all around than top of cake layer.
- Place on top of cake, dust edges heavily with confectioners' sugar.
- Remove paper, dust center lightly with more sugar.