9 hrs 20 mins
A golden sponge roll filled with whipped cream and raspberry preserves, then cloaked in a shiny chocolate glaze. Would be a beautiful dessert showcase for a fancy dinner (and it looks a lot harder than it actually is). Recipe from Food and Wine. *prep time includes chill time. best to start a day in advance.*
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, chilled
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 2 tablespoons seedless raspberry jam
- 1Preheat oven to 350*F. Butter a 15x10" jelly-roll pan, line it with parchment paper, then butter the paper.
- 2In a medium bowl, beat the egg yolks with 1/4 cup of the granulated sugar and vanilla until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Scrape the mixture into a bowl and fold in the flour.
- 3In a clean bowl, using a clean whisk attatchment, beat the egg whites and salt at medium speed until soft peaks form.
- 4Gradually add the remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar and beat until the whites are glossy.
- 5Using a rubber spatula, fold the whites into the yolk mixture until no streaks remain; quickly fold in the melted butter.
- 6Spread the batter into the pan; bake in the lower third of the oven for 20 minutes, or until golden and puffy. Cool in the pan on a wire rack.
- 7Run a knife around the edge of the pan; dust the cake with the powdered sugar and cover with a sheet of plastic wrap and a clean kitchen towel.
- 8Top with a cutting board, and holding both the board and pan, invert the cake. Rap the board against the table, then remove the pan and carefully peel off the paper.
- 9Make the filling: in a large bowl, whip the cream with the granulated sugar, vanilla, and salt to stiff peaks.
- 10Using an offset metal spatula, spread the raspberry jam on the cake; spread the whipped cream evenly over the jam.
- 11Begin rolling up the cake from the long side, as tightly as possible, using the kitchen towel and plastic wrap to help shape the roll. Wrap the roll tightly in the plastic and transfer to a cookie sheet; refrigerate at least 6 hours, preferably overnight.
- 12Make the glaze: Place the chocolate in a bowl.
- 13In a saucepan, stir the cream, milk, and sugar over moderate heat just until the sugar is dissolved.
- 14Pour the hot cream over the chocolate; let stand until chocolate is melted, about 3 minutes; whisk until smooth, then whisk in the butter and cool slightly.
- 15Discard the plastic wrap and transfer the cake to a rack; pour 1/2 the glaze all over the top and sides and spread evenly with an offset spatula.
- 16Spread remaining glaze all over the cake and refrigerate until set, at least 2 hours.
- 17Garnish top of cake with raspberries; transfer to a platter and serve.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate, Raspberry, and Cream Swiss Roll
Serving Size: 1 (139 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 361.4
- Calories from Fat 238
- Total Fat 26.5 g
- Saturated Fat 15.9 g
- Cholesterol 170.3 mg
- Sodium 216.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 19.6 g
- Protein 4.2 g