Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
Chocolate Pumpkin Spice Cake This very moist, smooth cake combines the typ ical flavor of pumpkin pie with the sensual charms of chocolate.
- 1⁄2 lb unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 lb pumpkin puree, canned or homemade
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, ground
- 1 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 3⁄4 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 2 2⁄3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups pecans or 1 1⁄2 cups walnut pieces
- 1 cup golden raisin
- to taste confectioners' sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 10-inch bundt pan or tube pan.
- In a large heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Remove from heat and mix in the sugar, pumpkin puree, vanilla, and eggs.
- Add the baking powder and baking soda in pinches, breaking up any lumps with your fingers.
- Stir in thoroughly.
- Stir in the salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, and cocoa.
- Stir in the flour, just until blended, then the nuts and raisins.
- Pour and scrape the batter into the pan.
- Smooth the top.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and cool on the rack for about 15 minutes more. When cool, dust top with confectioners' sugar, if desired.
Not great, unfortunately. A bit dry and easy to overcook. Would recommend instead making pumpkin spice bread (#71732) and adding chocolate chips if chocolate flavor is preferred. The bread is moist and flavorful and can be made quite healthily, if tips from reviewers are followed.
SO delicious!! a huge it with my whole family.
Great Cake and a big hit at work. I used only three eggs and it still was quite moist (maybe I will add a bit of milk as a substitute for the egg next time to keep the moisture in a bit better). I loved the golden raisins and will add more than a cup next time. Also, I had extra batter left over and made some muffins which only took 30 min. to bake instead of 45. Turned out great as well.