Recipe by GwenG
I couldn't find this variation of pumpkin roll cake on here. I make and sell the regular pumpkin roll cake and had a request for this recently.
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar (confectioner's)
- 1⁄2 cup pumpkin puree or 1⁄2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 4 eggs, separated
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar (confectioners')
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- For filling, beat cream cheese and powdered sugar.
- Beat in pumpkin, nutmeg, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- Add whipping cream slowly, beating until slightly thickened.
- Refrigerate approximately 2 hours.
- For cake: Heat oven to 375°F
- Line a jelly roll pan with aluminum foil or wax paper. Grease foil or wax paper.
- Beat egg whites on high speed until soft peaks form; gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Beat egg yolks and vanilla 3 minutes; gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar, beating another 2 minutes.
- Combine dry ingredients; add to yolk mixture alternating with water, beat on low just until smooth.
- Slowly fold chocolate mixture into egg whites with a spatula until well blended. Spread batter evenly in pan.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until top springs back when touched.
- Immediately loosen cake from edges of pan; turn over onto a clean towel sprinkled with powdered sugar. Carefully peel off foil or wax paper.
- Roll cake in towel, starting from narrow end; place on wire rack to cool.
- Carefully unroll cake; remove towel. Spread cake with filling; re-roll without towel.
- For chocolate glaze: Melt butter in a small pan over low heat;
- add cocoa and water, stirring until smooth and slightly thickened. Do not boil.
- Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Slowly add powdered sugar and vanilla, beating until smooth.
- Spoon glaze over rolled cake.
- Keep refrigerated.