Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I made this for Christmas in a large gingerbread man-shaped cake pan, and all of the kids in the family were practically drooling over it. It has already been demanded for next year. My husband's grandmother thought it was burnt until I explained that it had chocolate. I think next year I will sprinkle some cocoa powder and/or powdered sugar on top. The pumpkin flavor was not very strong, but the pumpkin definitely helped to make the cake nice and moist. Modified from http://dairyfreecooking.about.com/od/breadsbakery/r/veganchocolategingerbread.htm. I added fresh ginger and subbed in gluten-free flour.
- 1 2⁄3 cups gluten-free flour (I use Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free All-Purpose Baking Flour)
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum (omit if using regular wheat flour)
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar (I prefer organic unrefined cane sugar)
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup almond milk or 1⁄4 cup soymilk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 3 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely minced
- 1 cup dark non-dairy chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Lightly oil an 8" x 8" square cake pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, powdered ginger, and nutmeg until well mixed. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the almond milk and vinegar until the mixture curdles slightly. Add the pumpkin puree, molasses, canola oil, vanilla, and fresh ginger, mixing until smooth. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry, mixing until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips until evenly distributed.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the gingerbread emerges clean, about 35-45 minutes. Allow to cool on a wire cooling rack completely before cutting into squares and serving. Dust with confectioners' sugar before serving if desired.