I have made this recipe quite a few times for my Dad's birthday as cupcakes as well as a cake. It tastes great, even to pumpkin haters! My grandmother gave me the recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the cupcakes or cake
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, can use Buttermilk Substitue # 425075
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
For the Icing
- 3 cups easy buttercream icing, Easy Buttercream Icing, tinted orange with food colouring gel
For the Glaze on the cake
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2Line cupcake trays with paper liners (24), or the bottoms of 2 8 inch cake pans with parchment paper, lightly buttered.
- 3Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt together and set aside.
- 4Stir the buttermilk, pumpkin and vanilla together in a small bowl and set aside.
- 5Beat the butter and sugars together using a stand mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- 6Beat in the eggs and egg yolk, one at a time.
- 7Reduce mixer speed to low and alternately beat in the flour mixture and the buttermilk mixture in thirds.
- 8Pour the batter into the pans and bake until a toothpick can be inserted into the center and comes out clean. (about 22 minutes for cupcakes, about 35 minutes for a cake).
- 9Cool completely before icing with the Easy Buttercream Icing #425083.
- 10For the cake, after iced, you can cover with a chocolate glaze.
- 11To make the glaze, place the bittersweet chocolate, cold butter and corn syrup in a medium heatproof bowl.
- 12Bring heavy cream to a boil and pour it over the chocolate and let sit for 3 minutes.
- 13Gently stir using a whisk until smooth.
- 14Let sit until thickened, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- 15Pour the glaze onto the center of the iced cake, allowing it to drip over the edges.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Pumpkin Cupcakes
Serving Size: 1 (70 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 200.9
- Calories from Fat 83
- Total Fat 9.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 57.8 mg
- Sodium 220.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 18.4 g
- Protein 2.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: