Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
If you like pumpkin pie, you will love this light and fluffy pie. This pie combines two favorites - pumpkin and chocolate. How can you go wrong! To save a little time, you can use a ready made chocolate graham cracker pie crust.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 24 Oreo cookies, finely ground
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1⁄4 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 3⁄4 cup light-brown sugar, packed
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- chocolate curls (optional)
- Crust: In a medium-size bowl, stir melted butter into cookie crumbs until moistened. Press into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate. Refrigerate until ready to fill.
- Filling: In a small glass measuring cup, sprinkle gelatin over water. Let stand.
- In a heavy-bottomed medium-size saucepan, whisk together pumpkin puree, evaporated milk, brown sugar, egg yolks, pumpkin pie spice and salt until smooth. Cook over medium heat, whisking, for 8 minutes or until temperature registers 140 degrees on an instant-read thermometer. Continue stirring over low heat for 3 minutes, maintaining 140 degrees.
- Microwave gelatin mixture on high for 10 seconds, until melted. Whisk into the pumplin mixture and remove from heat.
- Pour filling into a large bowl. Set into a larger bowl of ice water and cool for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the consistency of honey.
- Whip cream on medium high until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into the cooled pumpkin mixture. Pour filling into the cooled crust. Refrigerate overnight.
- Garnish with chocolate curls, if desired. Allow to stand at room temperature for 15 minutes. With a very sharp knife, cut into 8 servings.
This is a combination of 2 of my favorite things. I did use the already made pie crust but otherwise followed the directions as written. Thanks for sharing made for PAC Fall 07. Lisa