1 hr 20 mins
This scrumptious cake can be made up as an 8" three-layer cake, or as 36 cupcakes. Delicious and decorative, this recipe is especially fun for Halloween through Thanksgiving, particularly with the orange cream-cheese frosting. This recipe is taken from Country Living magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup good quality cocoa
- 2 tablespoons good quality cocoa
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh-grated nutmeg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/8 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs
ORANGE CREAM-CHEESE FROSTING
- 1Heat oven to 350°F; lightly butter three 8-inch cake pans and fit each bottom with an 8-inch circle of parchment paper. Lightly butter the parchment paper. Set aside.
- 2Make the batter: Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large bowl and set aside.
- 3Beat butter and sugar together in a large bowl with an electric mixer set on medium speed until fluffy.
- 4Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, until the mixture is smooth and light.
- 5Alternately add the flour mixture and buttermilk mixture, blending well after each addition.
- 6Divide the batter among the pans and bake until a wooden skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean - about 35 minutes. Cool the cakes in the pan for 20 minutes. Remove cakes and cool. (For cupcakes: Heat oven to 375°F; place cupcake liners in standard cupcake tins and fill each with 1/4 cup of batter. Bake for 22 minutes).
- 7When cakes are cool, trim each of the layers. Place one layer on a cake plate and top with one third of the frosting. Repeat with the second and third layers. (To ensure that cake layers do not shift, cut three skewers to 1/4 inch shorter than the full height of the cake and insert them before icing the top layer). Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 8To prepare frosting: Blend the cream cheese, butter, orange juice, orange zest, and vanilla in a large bowl, using an electric mixer set at medium speed, until smooth. Add the sugar and continue to beat until light and creamy - about 3 more minutes. Add the food coloring and gently stir until the color is uniform. Chill the frosting until ready to ice the cupcakes or cake.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Pumpkin Cake With Orange Cream-Cheese Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (152 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 513.4
- Calories from Fat 188
- Total Fat 20.9 g
- Saturated Fat 12.6 g
- Cholesterol 110.3 mg
- Sodium 243.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 61.6 g
- Protein 6.1 g