Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
So moist! And it stays moist! The cake itself is not overly sweet, just right, so the sweet and creamy glaze is a delicious complement. This would also be good with cream cheese frosting. I'm planning to try this in a bundt pan when I get one!
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄3 cup applesauce
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups pumpkin puree (a 15 oz. can is close)
- 2 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup cocoa
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Cream the butter and sugar. Stir in the applesauce, eggs, 1/3 cup cream and pumpkin.
- In another bowl, combine the all the remaining dry ingredients. Stir into the pumpkin mixture just until combined.
- Bake in a greased 9x13 pan at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool.
- For the glaze, combine the butter, brown sugar, cream and cocoa in a heavy saucepan.
- Cook and stir over moderate heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Whisk in the powdered sugar until smooth; drizzle over cake immediately.