1/1 Photo of Chocolate Pumpkin Cake and Cupcakes
1 hr 10 mins
I found this recipe in Country Living Magazine about 4 yrs ago. I tried it out when my Ex's job had a contest requiring you to decorate, and use a pumpkin. I actually gutted, and carved a pumpkin. Lined the inside, and then layered the cake cubes with the Orange Cream Cheese Frosting. We actually won 2nd Place! Every time I make this cake, everyone asks for the recipe. Enjoy!
My Private Note
One 8-i ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup good-quality cocoa
- 2 tablespoons good-quality cocoa
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh-grated nutmeg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/8 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1Prepare cake pans: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter three 8-inch cake pans and fit each bottom with an 8-inch circle of parchment paper. Lightly butter the parchment paper. Set aside.
- 2Make the batter: Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large bowl and set aside. Combine the buttermilk, pumpkin, and vanilla in a medium bowl and set aside. Beat the butter and sugar together in a large bowl, with an electric mixer set on medium speed, until fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, until the mixture is smooth and light. Alternately add the flour mixture and buttermilk mixture, blending well after each addition.
- 3Bake the cake: Divide the batter among the pans and bake until a wooden skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean -- about 35 minutes. Cool the cakes in the pan for 20 minutes. Remove cakes and cool. (For cupcakes: Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Place cupcake liners in standard cupcake tins and fill each with 1/4 cup of batter. Bake for 22 minutes.).
- 4Assemble the cake: Trim each of the layers. Place one layer on a cake plate and top with one third of the frosting. Repeat with the second and third layers. (To ensure that the cake layers do not shift, cut three skewers to 1/4 inch shorter than the full height of the cake and insert them before icing the top layer.) Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Pumpkin Cake and Cupcakes
Serving Size: 1 (108 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 351.3
- Calories from Fat 122
- Total Fat 13.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 82.5 mg
- Sodium 203.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 35.2 g
- Protein 5.2 g