Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe goes back a long time, there easy to make. You can add in chopped smarties, chopped nuts, crushed chocolate bars, I have even added in coloured mini marshmallow, use your imagination! They are wonderful for pot lucks!
- 1⁄2 cup butter (no subsitutes)
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup chocolate syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 8 cups puffed wheat cereal (add in a little more if needed)
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine butter, corn syrup, both sugars; bring just to a boil.
- Mix in chocolate syrup and vanilla until combined.
- In a large bowl pour in the puffed rice, then pour the mixture over the puffed rice and mix well.
- Add in any other ingredients you would like to use (work fast as this hardens quickly!).
- Using slightly wet or greased hands press into a greased 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
Although this is a tasty treat, the puff wheat squares were very wet. I have never made puff wheat squares where the puff wheat was literally swimming in the sauce. I had to double the amount of puff wheat and even then the squares did not harden over night.