Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Out of regular milk or evaporated milk? You can still make delicious and creamychocolate pudding! For the chocolate, use what you have on hand. You can use all cocoa (4 T), all unsweetened chocolate (4 oz), or substitute 1 or 2 ounces of the unsweetened chocolate with bittersweet or semisweet chips. Use coconut or almond milk to replace some or all of the water to add a subtle coconut or almond flavor.
- Combine cocoa and cornstarch in bottom of heavy bottomed saucepan. Add condensed milk and water and stir to combine.
- Use medium low heat and stir regularly until cit begins to thicken.
- Once it starts to thicken, stir constantly until it begins to boil/bubble.
- Allow pudding to cook for one more minute after it first begins to boil/bubble.
- If the pudding got lumpy (either heat was a little high or it wasn't stirred enough when it was thickening, use an immersion blender or whisk to make it smooth.
- Remove pudding from heat and stir in vanilla. You can substitute almond flavoring for the vanilla if you prefer that flavor.
- Pour into four bowls. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing the plastic onto the top of the pudding; this will prevent the pudding from forming a thick skin.
- Refrigerate until chilled or eat immediately. Serve with whipped topping.