An upside down pudding cake from "How it all Vegan"....my first ever pudding cake, and it was pretty fabulous. I'm somewhat in awe of how simple it was....as we were putting it together it looked a little strange having never made one before, but it worked!! This is one of those cakes (desserts) you more than likely always have the ingredients on hand for. My 5 year old actually put this together aside from the boiling water part - it worked out just fine, lumps and all! The original recipe called for 1/2 cup margarine...I subbed oil. My only wish would be that the pudding part was a little "creamier", but I'm not sure how to accomplish that. I served this to non vegans tonight and they all enjoyed it, no mention of it being vegan or otherwise. Served with vanilla ice "cream".
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl stir together the first 4 ingredients (flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt).
- Add in the 1/2 cup sweetener, oil, soy milk and vanilla. Mix gently until just combined (don't over mix).
- The mixture will resemble cookie dough more than cake batter. Spread it into a lightly oiled casserole dish or loaf pan and set aside.
- Clean and dry out your bowl then mix together the 3/4 cup of sweetener and the other 1/4 cup of cocoa. Sprinkle this evenly on top of the cake mixture.
- Carefully pour the boiling water over top of everything - and DO NOT MIX! it really does do it's own thing in the oven. Bake for 40 minutes and enjoy!