Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 8 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a chocolate cake with pudding in it! It is very rich and tastes very good! I like it both hot and cold. If served hot,' its like cake with a warm chocolate sauce. If served cold its like cake with chocolate pudding!
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with Pam spray.
- Set aside.
- In large bowl mix together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- Mix in milk, applesauce and vanilla extract; blend thoroughly.
- Pour into pan and spread evenly.
- In large bowl, mix all the pudding ingredients until sugar and cocoa are dissolved.
- Pour carefully and slowly over cake batter.
- The pudding will be runny and the cake will look "messy", but this is normal.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until done.
- The cake will be firm to the touch when done.
- Toothpick test will not work with this cake as there is pudding underneath cake layer!
- Let cake rest 15 minutes to cool.
- To serve,cut cake and put on plate and then spoon the pudding over the top of cake slice.
- Can be served warm or cold.
- If served warm, it's a warm chocolate sauce.
- If served cold, it's cake with chocolate pudding.
- Cover and refrigerate leftovers up to 7 days in refrigerator.
- Or wrap tightly and freeze up to 2 months.
I don't think life can be any better than having a warm piece of this pudding cake in front of you. I followed the recipe exactly and it was perfect in 35 minutes. The hardest part was waiting 15 minutes for it to cool. I used light almond milk and it still turned out great. The scary part is I'm looking at the nutrition thinking it's pretty low-cal for the richness of flavor and it's hard to keep my spoon from scooping out a second piece...
I hate to give a bad review but I can't get this to come out. I have made other recipes for puddig cake and was fine. I liked this recipe because there was more cake to it. The other recipe I had was a very thin cake layer. It is a very dark chocolate taste. I am wondering if I have bad cocoa, so I didn't give it any stars and am wondering if something I am doing is the problem. good luck if you try it. Make sure you bake it long enough or the pudding will be to thin and floury tasting. Did that once, and rebaked it.
This is a great pudding cake. The cake is dark, rich, sweet. thick, moist and dense, with a very flavourful pudding. We enjoyed this very much. Perfect served on its own...even better with ice cream or whipped cream. Thank you so much for sharing. I will be making this again quite often. My dh wants to give this 10*'s...