Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe is quick, easy, and GREAT! This cake emerges from the oven like a brownie rippled with dark chocolate pudding. Throw in some nuts or chopped white chocolate if you want to get creative. Great served with freshly whipped cream or by itself!
- 1 cup unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon instant espresso coffee powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350* (F).
- Spread butter or margarine on bottom and sides of 8-inch square pan.
- In mixing bowl, combine flour, 2/3 cup sugar, 4 Tbsp.
- cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon, coffee powder, and salt.
- Stir slowly until blended.
- Stir in milk, oil, and vanilla.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan, and smooth out until evenly distributed.
- In a small bowl, stir together remaining 2 Tbsp.
- cocoa and 2/3 cup sugar.
- Spread this mixture evenly over batter in pan.
- On top of this, pour boiling water.
- Do NOT stir.
- Carefully set pan in preheated oven on middle rack, and bake for 35 minutes, or until top looks crisp and crackled and cake tester inserted into a cakey area comes out clean.
- Cool for a few minutes.
- Serve warm, directly from pan.
I have used this recipe 4-5 times now and keep forgetting to write a review. I make it exactly according to your recipe and it is just wonderful. Thanks for this quick and easy fabulous chocolate yummy dessert.
2012 Wow, I can't believe it was 2005, my first review. I've continued to use recipe for 7 years and it never disappoints.
Trailblazing dessert, now you see "Lava Cakes" all over food network. I still like yours best.
Wow! That was really good! And really easy! Thank you so much!
I needed a dessert and refused to go to the store. What a find! Very simply made with ingredients on hand. But more importantly, delicious and impressive. Thank you.