Recipe by Cooking to Perfection
This recipe is quick, easy, and GREAT! This cake emerges from the oven like a brownie rippled with dark chocolate pudding. Throw in some nuts or chopped white chocolate if you want to get creative. Great served with freshly whipped cream or by itself!
Top Review by personalchef
I have used this recipe 4-5 times now and keep forgetting to write a review. I make it exactly according to your recipe and it is just wonderful. Thanks for this quick and easy fabulous chocolate yummy dessert.
2012 Wow, I can't believe it was 2005, my first review. I've continued to use recipe for 7 years and it never disappoints.
Trailblazing dessert, now you see "Lava Cakes" all over food network. I still like yours best.
- 1 cup unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon instant espresso coffee powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup boiling water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350* (F).
- Spread butter or margarine on bottom and sides of 8-inch square pan.
- In mixing bowl, combine flour, 2/3 cup sugar, 4 Tbsp.
- cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon, coffee powder, and salt.
- Stir slowly until blended.
- Stir in milk, oil, and vanilla.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan, and smooth out until evenly distributed.
- In a small bowl, stir together remaining 2 Tbsp.
- cocoa and 2/3 cup sugar.
- Spread this mixture evenly over batter in pan.
- On top of this, pour boiling water.
- Do NOT stir.
- Carefully set pan in preheated oven on middle rack, and bake for 35 minutes, or until top looks crisp and crackled and cake tester inserted into a cakey area comes out clean.
- Cool for a few minutes.
- Serve warm, directly from pan.